Browse By

Chile 50 Years Past

12 thoughts on “Chile 50 Years Past”

1. Bernardo Zentilli says:

Ayyy, Gringo, Amigo, Chilenazo por adopción. Tus relatos son siempre emocionantes sobre todo cuando se conectan parcialmente con la vida de algunos de nosotros mismos, como es mi caso.
    hemos compartido experiencia en los mismos lugares a veces juntos otras veces cada uno por separado. Hemos conocido gente dispersa por el mundo pero que en gran forma vibra por ideales semejantes.. . ¿cuanto camino y senderos nos quedan todavía por recorrer?’ habran nuevos encuentros, valiosas conversaciones e intercambios de mentiras y verdades..

Agradezco qye en elgun moento nuestras vidas se hayan cruzado y que de vez en cuando podamos llernos y quizas otra vez tomarnos un trago juntos..

Un gran abrazo

Bernardo Zentilli

1. David Joslyn
      David Joslyn says:

Gran amigo Bernardo, muchos voluntarios hoy en día guardan amistad con Chilenos como tu, y respeto profundo por tu país, debido a haber podido trabajar y socializarse cerca de dedicados profesionales como tu. Respeto y dedicación se contagian. Mil gracias. David

2. David Valenzuela says:

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your piece on commemorating your PC group’s 50th anniversary. It is very thoughtful and insightful. You did a beautiful job in your comparison of the two 9/11s. I am always struck by the depth of bonding that takes place among PC groups. Peace Corps was truly one of the U.S Government’s most important initiatives in its efforts to connect with the rest of the world. Thanks to Peace Corps, Americans from all walks of life and regions were able to gain an understanding and appreciation for other countries and cultures. It scares me to think what would the U.S be like without the Peace Corps experience. My return to Chile in 1991 with the Peace Corps and revisiting together with Bruce (Oso) Burwell so many of the agencies and universities in the forestry field with Peace Corps experience reaffirms the enormous impact forestry and environment Volunteers had in making Chile the forestry country that it is today. Peace Corps was also an important force in helping Chile establish one of the region’s best networks of national parks and forest reserves. While the bonding and long-lasting friendships have enhanced your lives, the impact of your work and passion have been far reaching.

Have a great time in Frutillar.

Best

David

1. David Joslyn
      David Joslyn says:

Thanks, David. Specifically on one Chilean institution many volunteers assisted with, check out the prior posting on this blog entitled “Viva el Instituto Forestal”.
      Un abrazo, Dave

3. Gary Wetterberg says:

Dave,
    Nice job on the current blog write-up! I can’t help but think you may want to seek the thoughts of our Chile Peace Corps Volunteers about the influence that experience may have had on their own subsequent lives and careers (looking back on 50 years). Your manuscript, and Bernardo’s comments, lead me to thinking in that direction. As I recall, you earlier requested, and gathered together, some similar information to this for CONAF. I don’t remember ever seeing any followup on that from you, Angel Lazo, or Jonahtan Putnam.
    Page and I are looking forward to the gathering. We already have round-trip plane tickets via Pittsburgh/Lima where we plan a visit to Cusco/Machu Picchu. In Chile we are delighted to learn the program agenda includes a day-visit to Vicente Perez Rosales National Park, my former Peace Corps site. After our Frutillar meeting, Page and I head to Puerto Natales and Torres del Paine Nt. Pk. before returning via Brazil to visit old friends Marc Dourojeanni and Maria Tereza Jorge Padua (youngest daughter Tammy-Tayrona’s godmother).

Gary Wetterberg

1. David Joslyn
      David Joslyn says:

Gary, I believe Lazo included the info on PC volunteers who worked with parks and forestry in a CONAF publication. I think he may still be at CONAF, so I’ll check.
      Regarding a more complete accounting of what the group has done, that’s on the agenda for daveschile.com .

1. Gary Wetterberg says:

Thanks in advance for following up on this. It will be interesting in hearing/reading about what Lazo’s understanding was, and what he had to say. I suspect that former PCVs who worked directly in the national parks, like Jim Bellamy, Al Putney and others would also be interested, as well as still others who did very useful part-time assignments, associated with national parks and wildlife like Alan Mills and Jerry Dillahey (and Bruce Gordon , now deceased).

I’m kind of tickled by the fact that my son Sean-Sarek, the National Winter Sports Program Manager for the US Forest Service, is currently on official business in Chile at a National Conference in Conguillio Nt. Pk. dealing with National Parks and other protected natural areas. I just recently saw on Facebook that Bernardo Zentilli was also involved in that conference. I hope they got to meet. Back on 9/23/1972 I originally met and interviewed Bernardo as Chile’s representative at the 2nd World Conference on National Parks in Yellowstone/Grand Teton, as I also tape-recorded interviews with the Delegation Head from each of the other South American countries’ National Parks as part of my PhD dissertation research. Sean-Sarek is later this week (December 2, 2016) headed down to Puerto Natales and Torres del Paine Nt. Pk., the same place Page and I are headed after the Peace Corps Reunion in Fruitillar.
        Looking forward to catching up with you and Ximenna.

Gary Wetterberg

4. Ron Bodinson says:

Dave: Many thanks for your evocative essay on our Peace Corps group’s experience set in the larger context of relations between Chile and the U.S. As always you are a master of the written word and our group’s conscience and historian.
    Gratefully, Ron

5. Marcy says:

Well written David! Made me wish i were one of this group. What a great experience must have been in Chile! You picked a great place for your 50 yeR reunion, Frutillar!! Can i go too?
    Besos to Ximena
    Marcy

1. David Joslyn
      David Joslyn says:

Marcy,
      Love to make a trip with you folks. Just let us know when and where.
      DJ

6. John (Larry/Lorenzo) Rector says:

I am impressed by the ties Dave and hundreds of other Volunteers had in Chile. My wife, Irene, taught Spanish to trainees at the University of Washington in the middle and late 1960s We married in Chile in 1969 and our oldest son was born there in 1976. Like Brian Loveman and and others I developed a fascination for Chile’s history. Most recently I have put together a narrative of my experience in Caburgua. It is available through Google. Its title is the Caburgua Visual Archive.

1. David Joslyn
      David Joslyn says:

John,
      Thanks for checking in. I’ve read your earlier history of Chile, and will read this. Is Irene, your wife, Argentine? If so, I remember her fondly.
      Dave